Monday, September 30, 2013

M is for: Morose in Melbourne

I should have taken it as a sign when I left my $50.00 hanging map in a book store, and ran back through the city of Sydney to retrieve it, praying I wouldn't miss my flight...only to leave that damn map on the train, on my way to the airport. I should have continued to follow the signs when I MISSED that flight and had to pay an extra $100.00 to catch the next one.

But I was going to see one of my DEAREST friends whom I have known for 12 years, almost half my life...whom I have spent Christmas with in 3 different places, 2 different countries and whom I intend to spend it with this December in a new country. The friend who I met when I lived in Japan...My Australian..Kylie!! Well worth it hey?

Ya...I definitely figured it would be worth spending, after planes, hostels, local transportation, and food (including spending $55.00 on smoked salmon and other sushi items needed to make veggie and salmon rolls, only to have been stood up not only by Kylies friend who was supposed to come over, but by my hosts, who opted to stay upstairs while I ate alone with a shit-ton of sushi), about $500.00 to see her 2 months early (instead of waiting until December). But man...I kind of hate to report...that it just wasn't worth it man.

I still don't know how rice got into the lounge room that I was told NOT to eat in...but it did...I figure it was on my shirt or house slippers or something...but I suppose that, and leaving some Tim Tam crumbs on the table the other day was enough for her partner to decide I had to find another place to stay. Funny thing was that I had suggested this when I was first told of the disruption I caused leaving Tim Tam crumbs on the table...but was assured that it was not a problem and to please, stay--only to be booted out a few days later.

I spent last nite at a really sweet Hostel called "The Nunnery" ...for $32.00 because it was the only place that could give me a bed at the last minute...in a room that smelt of messy boys and that I shared with about 9 of them. The one I am at now is only $20.00--wish I could have saved meself $12.00 considering everything is so damn expensive here and every dollar counts. Not that it matters after having spent so much damn money on everything else I wish I hadn't.

The good news is, that I met some great people while out in the City of Melbourne...and have connected with a lovely musician woman whom I hope to make music with when I am done at Attunga. And tonite, we will be going to another open mic...which I am well excited for.

Let it be known that I LOVE Kylie..and nothing will change that...but it's a pretty tough thing to swallow after having spent so much time and money for something I certainly could have and should have waited for. Had it been any other friend, whose partner I had to walk on eggshells for only to be booted out 2 days before I was supposed to go...I might feel a little differently.

I have never felt so alone...I have never been without family, and here I am...traveling with not even an iPod to keep me company...only memories...and songs I hear on buses or at the hostels...pictures, things I see, to remind me of those I hold so dear. I can't stop dreaming of home. Thank God for the writer in me though....ye good ol' ink and paper are my only solace some days.

Well that's the bloody update. I can't wait to get back to the camp....Good Times man...I'll be sad when it's over!

Cheers!

-V

No comments:

Post a Comment